Monday, January 3, 2011

The St. Louis Carousel


The St. Louis Carousel
Originally uploaded by DisHippy

The St. Louis Carousel is home to an original carousel created by the Dentzel Company of Philadelphia in the 1920’s. The Carousel was installed in 1929 at the Forest Park Highlands. When the Highlands burned to the ground in 1963, the carousel was the only thing left standing. Howard C. Ohlendorf purchased the carousel to prevent it from being dismantled and donated it to St. Louis County Parks in 1965. The department operated it during the summer months at Sylvan Springs Park until 1980. The St. Louis County Historic Buildings Commission and Faust Cultural Heritage Foundation raised enough money to restore the carousel to its original beauty and installed it in a climate controlled building in Faust Park in 1987.
~Sourced from stlouisco.com

I've been trying to get out more here lately to get some more practice shots before our Disney trip on 2-26 through 3-5 (cuz Roni reminded me I never said my dates :) ). I've been trying to find situations where I could be in the same photographic situations and condition I might find down in WDW. One thing I love to shoot as most of you know is any kind of kinetic movement. So I stopped by Faust Park to visit The St. Louis Carousel so I could try my hand at capturing it. Thinking of the carousel in Fantasyland all the while. One thing this method of practice is doing is making me more excited to get back to WDW. Hope you all enjoy this one and hopefully I'll get out later this week to go shooting again for some more shots for you all. :)

No comments: