Friday, May 25, 2012

POTD - Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower by DisHippy
Lotus Flower, a photo by DisHippy on Flickr.

The Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis will host an international exhibition of larger-than-life, lighted works of art from China from May 26 through August 19, 2012.

"Lantern Festival: Art by Day, Magic by Night" will attract visitors from throughout the country to experience one of China’s most treasured events and ancient traditions – the annual lantern festival.

Elaborate outdoor sets crafted of silk and steel will celebrate Chinese culture through bold color, dazzling light and striking design. The exhibition offers visitors a unique opportunity to witness a spectacle rarely staged outside of Asia.

View the "art by day" or experience the illuminated "magic by night" on Thursday through Sunday evenings.

The lotus flower represents strength, good luck, long life, honor and respect. It has often been described as the most exquisite wishes of Mother Nature for mankind. Some believe the lotus flower is a universal representation of the spiritual presence in human lives, holding the secret of happiness and cheerfulness. Set in the still waters of the Swift Family Garden ponds, the Lotus Flower lantern set creates a tranquil scene in the dark.


The more we made our way into the gardens for this amazing show, the more I thought how excited I was to get here at night at shoot all of these illuminated. I found out after the show that there were pieces that I even missed so I have more to discover here as well. If any of you were even thinking about a trip to St. Louis this summer, this is worth coming to town for. I of course would be on hand to shoot photos with. :) Please let me know what you all think about this one, I've been working on my fisheye composition and trying to perfect my wide angle shooting. Enjoy!

No comments: